- C is a procedural programming language.
- It was initially developed by Dennis Ritchie as a system programming language to write operating system.
- The main features of C language include low-level access to memory, simple set of keywords, and clean style,
- these features make C language suitable for system programming like operating system or compiler development.
- Procedural Language: In a procedural language like C step by step predefined instructions are carried out. C program may contain more than one function to perform a particular task.
- Modularity: The concept of storing C programming language code in the form of libraries for further future uses is known as modularity. This programming language van does very little on its own most of its power is held by its libraries. C language has its own library to solve common problems like in this we can use a particular function by using a header file stored in its library.
- Statically Type: C programming language is a statically typed language.
- General Purpose Language: From system programming to photo editing software, the C programming language is used in various applications. Some of the common applications where it’s used are as follows:
Operating systems: Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, OXS Databases: PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server etc. Rich set of built-in Operators: It is a diversified language with a rich set of built-in operators
which are used in writing complex or simplified C programs.
- Libraries with rich Functions: Robust libraries and functions in C help even a beginner coder to code with ease.
- Middle-Level Language: As it is a middle-level language so it has the combined form of both capabilities of assembly language and features of the high-level language.
- Fast and Efficient: C programming language as the been middle-level language provides programmers access to direct manipulation with the computer hardware but higher-level languages do not allow this.
That’s one of the reasons C language is considered the first choice to start learning programming languages. It’s fast because statically typed languages are faster than dynamically typed languages.
- Portability: C language is lavishly portable as programs that are written in C language can run and compile on any system with either none or small changes.
- Easy to Extend: Programs written in C language can be extended means when a program is already written in it then some more features and operations can be added to it.